Monday 22 October 2012

The Six Month Curse

I like me a good friend, a confidant and trustworthy friend whom you share almost everything with. This friend becomes your pillar and you turn to them when you are bored, happy, sad, harassed and even scared. Better still, this friendship turns into something better, deeper and ‘just right’.

It is insane that after only a couple of months since we made our dating official, this woman who has been my good friend still makes my head spin when we kiss, makes me feel like I want to touch myself when she teases me on phone, even when am in a matatu!, makes me breathless when she grabs me by my top and pulls me close for a kiss...when she pins me against the wall and just ravages me.

I have discovered things about my body that I never ever knew were in existence or even possible. Do not get me wrong, I have had a wonderful sex life before in my previous relationship, but this one is just....freaking out of this world! I had my fears at the beginning that this was too good to be true, that maybe I was in a wonderful dream and it will end eventually, but I have been waiting for months now to wake up, clearly confirming the non-dream.

This could be either true or just myth…what they call the SIX MONTH CURSE. This is when your peers ask if you have got to the cursed sixth month, and if not, that you need to brace yourself for it.

Apparently, this is the make or break of any relationship. When a couple starts questioning each other, as to what suddenly happened. The love notes, flowers, home cooked candle lit dinners, and explosive sex all disappear. That boredom replaces the sparks.

I could be wrong, but I tend to think this curse thing is just a myth, an excuse that people use when they get tired of keeping the fire burning in the relationship. Yes, situations and priorities change, what with work and family and school and entrepreneurship and friends etc.

Could it be so difficult to continue treating your partner, or at least being spontaneous even after the sixth month? Not unless one was pretending to try and impress to win someone over?

In the past almost six months now, I have allowed myself to be emotionally open, though I was a bit guarded at the beginning. No…scratch that! I was so very guarded and was so afraid to put myself out there again, lest I get hurt over all over again.
My girl surprised me this weekend and took me over to this new coffee place. She actually tricked me to going over, because she had told me she had to see her boss briefly, then we could go on with the other shughulis that we had in town. I almost passed right past the coffee place, but she pulled me in and took me to this balcony table. I was so excited, and so happy and I was even more awestruck at how I was growing to love her more and more each day. Haki the things that move us!
We then proceeded to have one of the greatest weekends over, we had such a good time. We talked over a bottle of wine, read through an encyclopedia that contains this epic history that I totally love, and made love so many times, we were at it like wild rabbits mpaka we sat back and laughed about it because it was just crazy.
The reason why I am going on and on about this weekend, is because I realized we are always discovering and doing something different so frequently, that I doubt we will be counting down the last days of our fifth month to welcome the gloom of the sixth month.
This is not to say that we have not had our fights, but we have worked through them and come out stronger. This is what I want to maintain way past six months, past one year and more. I want all the coming months to be just as amazing, that we will maintain the reasons why we fell in love, that we continue to do things to and for each other. My heart dances at the thought of the two of us, and I intend to keep it that way.
Do you think the six month curse is myth or truth? Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment